Honda Foreman Forums banner

Rear Brake Drum Stuck

24K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jimmyrig 
#1 ·
I have a 98 Foreman 450 with no rear brakes. Started to take the rear assembly apart, have removed all bolts both side of the hub.
After half a day of penetrating fluid I got the brake cover off.

Now the drum is stuck and doesn't want to come off by the look at the cover this is the first time since new the brakes have been looked at.

Any suggestions on how to get the drum off the axle, is it worth making a drum brake puller or is the a clip that needs to be removed ??

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

#2 ·
After messing with these and actually destroying (well actuall BASFNB did) a backing plate trying to get a stuck drum off, I think the way to go is to remove the whole rear axle assembly with the drum and backing plate still attached.

Remove left axle hub and unbolt tube from the diff. Unbolt brake backing plate from right side tube, slide the whole thing out. Support backing plate, and put a piece of wood over the end of the axle and hammer the **** out of it, driving the axle out of the drum and backing plate.

I've spent hours fighting stuck drums, and when I tore down a rear end to swap diffs out I realized it's not hard to pull the axle with the drum on it and then knock the axle out.

#4 ·
I would only do this as a last resort. I buggered up the threads on the end of the axle when hammering on the wood. On the back of the backing plate is a seal and behind it is a snap ring holding the bearing in. Until that snap ring comes out, the axle ain't coming out of the backing plate.

That ring on the inner lip of the drum shouldn't need to come out. First, does the drum move at all before catching on the pads or is it seized to the axle? If it slides off a little and then stops, try clocking the drum differently. Every drum I've had issues with would only come off and go back on in one position. If it's not moving at all, the safest bet would be to remove the backing plate with the axle still attached, remove the snap ring for the bearing, and have the axle pressed out of the drum and plate.

#3 ·
When I did mine there was a giant snap ring on the inside lip of the drum that gets stuck on the brake shoes, I used a giant flat head screwdriver and a small pry bar and just worked the drum back and forth until it wiggled off

#6 ·
I have had the axle out of the bike by the repair shop, it's been in a 20 tonne press and still did not come apart.
Apart from buying a new axle and drum does anyone have any miracle solution to spray or soak the past in before I give up and only run front brakes on the bike

#7 ·
Try soaking it in 1/2 Acetone, 1/2 ATF. I had a 450LB inpact that wouldn't remove an axle nut a couple of weeks ago. I soaked it in that solution for a couple of days and it came off easily with the same impact.

#8 ·
If the the cam froze on adjusted by the brakes and the drum has a lip from rust on the drum liner snap ring it will be painful one way or another Sometimes the brake cam sticks slightly on I have hit the cam with a brass hammer to free it up just unstuck mine as I wore out the rear disk kit again. going back to drum. . Remove the brake cam after the drums off , wire wheel or sand smooth grease it where it goes through.

#9 ·
So you're ditching the rear disc kit and going back stock?

#10 ·
yep wearing pads out every 100 miles (2-3 rides). Drum brake has been back on 250 miles.

#11 ·
I thought about doing the rear disc brake, but wanted to see how well it held up to real world use.

Glad I held off.

#12 ·
I have a 98 Foreman 450 with no rear brakes. Started to take the rear assembly apart, have removed all bolts both side of the hub.
After half a day of penetrating fluid I got the brake cover off.

Now the drum is stuck and doesn't want to come off by the look at the cover this is the first time since new the brakes have been looked at.

Any suggestions on how to get the drum off the axle, is it worth making a drum brake puller or is the a clip that needs to be removed ??

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
this is an old post but I figured this may help someone...my rear drum seized up and I had a hard time getting it apart...one of the shoe linings came off and over time wore down on 1 end and ended up jamming in between the drum and the other brake shoe....I had to remove the backing plate and I drilled 2 holes in the drum so I could put a big punch in on the shoe and beat on 1 side at a time and worked it apart...it took some work because the drum had to be held so the backing plate and shoes would come out when beating on the shoes...the drum was still usable and easy to drill because of being aluminium...the other way I could have done it was cutting the brake drum in half but then the drum would need replaced...I have worked on bikes for many years and it was the 1st time I saw this happen...also I never used the rear brakes from when I bought it new and the brakes and cables were ruined because of not ever being used

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.