Honda Foreman Forums banner

Post Snorkel tuning woes

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rich450es 
#1 ·
This will be long in order to give all of my steps and troubleshooting ive done so far. I have a 2004 Honda foreman 450ES. All stock motor, never rebuilt yet that I know of (second owner). Bike was running like a top. Put a glasspack exhaust on. No problems. But a full 2in snorkel on and problems started. Put a reduced cap on the top of the snorkel and problems go away. Thinking I need to jet at this point and tried all three jet sizes in the kit (biggest has 40 on it) and same issues there. 3/4 to WOT just sucked. put the reducer back on and it ran good. Heres where i get confused. take the snorkel off at the airbox and the bike runs like a bat outta ****! But with snorkel on, I have to reduce it because it acts like its getting too much air? So cunfused. Not sure if its not getting enough air or too much, I installed dual 2.5in snorkels using shop vac hose. Look great, runs like poo. messed around with the clip on the needle in the carb but it still sucks. Do i need bigger jets? All my conclusions come up with the same thing, Im running super lean, meaning too much air correct? So i need an even bigger jet? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have big plans for this bike. Thanks.

#3 ·
Hey Dan, I put a snorkel on my machine with the exact same result. Not that I'm telling you anything you dont know but I did just what you said, reduced my 1 1/2 inch opening down to as close to the stock size I could, this allowed my machine to idle right and run without blogging down. Dont know much about snorkels except that I have a river or two I need to cross and the stock snorkel just isnt high enough, I know you have to extend the tubes from your carb, diffs, engine and fan too, working on that as soon as I figure out my es shifting problems. Good luck.

#4 ·
Hey thanks for the info. I found the carb tuning thread and found I needed 2 bigger jets so I ordered off of jetsrus. Think it was a 48 main 170 pilot. Also a new spark plug and looking into an air filter now

#5 ·
For whatever its worth, if anyone finds this post with possible same problems heres my final setup that is working beautifully. True dual snorkels using 2.5in shop vac hose up to 2in pvc risers
New OEM air filter
NGK spark plug
48 main jet
170 pilot jet
glasspack exhaust

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.