Running Rough - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Running Rough

New to the site here and I searched for a problem like mine and couldn't find it. But I want to say this looks like a great site. Thanks for having me.

I picked up a 96 Foreman 400 all stock about 2 months ago. When I got it, it ran great. But after my 3 ride on it that changed. I was on it about 3 hours, just trail riding. On the way back I noticed that the engine whined a little. Just a little higher pitch then normal. I parked it in the garage. A couple of days later I had the time to look at. I wouldn't even idle. I had to have the choke fully on and even then it ran rough. I pulled the carb and cleaned it till it looked new, well almost new. Changed out the spark plug. Now it wants to idle but misses, if the choke is on it will run pretty smooth, little back fire on the return to idle speed, then it starts missing again. Is there a timing adjustment on these?

I also have another issue with it too. But I haven't had a chance to test anything on it till I get it running smooth again. There is a good amount of drag on it, like the brakes are dragging. Might just be the bearing are shot, cause it doesn't seem like the previous owner maintained it as well as he said he did. But I will work on that issue later.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great. And again thanks for having me here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I have tested alot more since my first post. I am hoping that this narrows it down.

I have test the entire ignition systems, coil, satter, pulse gen, and the wiring, all is good. I know now that there is no way to time these, but I was able to verify that the timing was correct. I have pulled the carb off and tore it down, cleaned it, no jets or ports seemed to be clogged. reinstalled it, and it still doesn't want to idle. Still runs smooth at higher RPMs. Seems to be a vaccum leak somewhere that I can not find. Does the O-ring from the head to the carb boot go bad very often? Right now its the only place that I could find or think of that would be leaking.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default air intake tube

sounds similar to a prob i had. turns out a mud dauber had built a half dozen nest in my air intake tube (or whatever its called lol) and was restricting air intake.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Lover

Did you check/adjust the valves?
beastmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I ended up rebuilding it. After new jets and everything it was running good. The new issue is the muffler. While deep in a trail ride, I was runnly at about 3/4 throttle and something in the muffler feel apart. It started sounding like a jet plane. And I lost alot of power. After a quick and angry kick to the muffler it righted. Sounded good and I took back off, till I got to 3/4 throttle again. So I ended up baby it all the way back.

Is there a way to repair those mufflers? I replacement stock one runs about $300, and I was unable to locate a used one around me. If I went aftermarket, that would require me to rejet the carb. And I am trying to avoid that.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Send a message via MSN to AllHonda Send a message via Yahoo to AllHonda

I'd say a baffle come loose and plugged up your exhaust. I've cut a few open and removed the loose baffles and welded them back up. They run alil load but work and sound good.
AllHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I opened up the muffler and sure enough one of the baffles was completely blown apart. and the middle one was broke in half. I removed all the loose pieces and wielded the middle one back together and closed it all up. Seems to runs pretty good, about as loud as it was before, but now nothing blocks the exhaust. It should last me till I can come up with the cash to replace it. Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Rider

So what about the dragging part? Was it the restriction inside the muffler? Did you check any of the brakes/ bearings?
07black500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Rider

The dragging part, I tore down the front brakes, and found that both the left side, pistons were rust frozen. I had to seriously work the drum off. I was able to clean them up and get them work smoothly again. However I think in the spring I will rebuild the entire front brakes.

The restriction was a large piece of the baffle was falling against the exhuast exit hole and just sealing it off completely. While we had it open we did remove anything that was loose and rewielded what we could to get it as strong as possible.

I have to say that I have worked on my cars and jeeps alot, but getting this fourwheeler has been a real learning experience. Thanks for all the input. I more then likely will come up with more questions or issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement