Honda Foreman Forums banner

Valves?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  zimzy 
#1 · (Edited)
so my bike started smoking last weekend when I was riding... I did a regular compression check when I got home and had two different readings it was either 90psi or 120psi. did the check 8 times got 2 readings of 120 psi the rest at 90 psi... so I did a differential compression test (where you pump air into the cylinder) with the engine at TDC and had air come out the exhaust pipe. I know this means that my exhaust valve is not seating but my question is could it be a bad spring? because is does hit 120 psi 1 in 4 times of the compression check.

(I did check the gap and it was off I did fix and retested it with the same results)

also has ANYONE heard of Bronco valves? $15 for there valve from amazon $40 for OEM from Partzilla

#2 ·
Sounds like your compression isn't bad. Do you ride in mud and deep water a lot? Ever drowned it out under water? Most likely if its smoking, you have a bad valve stem seal, and or valve stem guide. If your valves were burnt or not adjusted correctly or timing was off, low compression, ect. It would have poor low speed performance, and hard starting. You could try thicker oil, I use Amsoil in my bike, runs great I ride it like I stole it. If it just smokes just a little bit just keep riding it, unless you want to rebuild your head, and if you do that might as well re-ring it too. But to each their Own, Good luck with it.

#3 ·
Here is a question.......How did you do the compression check?
To do it properly, the engine should be warm, and the throttle wide open.
Record the results, then repeat after putting a teaspoon or so of oil in the cylinder.
If it comes up more than about 10PSI with the oil in there, your rings are not sealing.

The smoking part makes it sound more like you got water or junk in the engine.

#4 ·
Engine was warm throttle open.... And it has smoked since before I replaced the piston rings about a year ago... And psi at 90 isn't low? I thought it was supposed to be north of 100... Atv is easy to start it wants to run

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.