Honda Foreman Forums banner

Font Diff not spinning tires

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  action450s 
#1 ·
so my front tires stopped getting power... I was on a sandy incline and one min the 4wd is working like a charm the next thing I know rear tires are spinning and the front tires didn't even seem to be trying to turn... no abnormal noises just a cut of power... I'm thinking the clutch plates in the front diff died I have no idea when/if it has ever been serviced so any ideas or common issues to steer me in the right direction would be nice...

as of the moment I have the front diff out so I can still use the atv but with it sitting on the bench nothing seems wrong with it. I spin the shaft and everything turns that should and no odd noises or crunchy feels...

if it is just clutches is this something that is easy to fix or should I pay a shop? is it worth rebuilding or is it just as cost effective to buy a remanufactured?

#4 ·
I don't think it would be clutch plate. That would just be for limited slip, one wheel should still turn. The differential is usually the weak link. It may slip under load and be fine on the bench (no load). I don't think there is much to the drive shaft. They do have splines that could strip possibly.

#5 · (Edited)
ok well is the differential something that's rebuild able with run of the mill tools or is that something that I'm better off sending off to be rebuilt?... the splines look good from what I can see... now that said I have not split the diff yet partly do to I have zero idea what id be looking at inside other then basic mechanical knowledge says...

#8 ·
Usually that's stripped splines on the front driveshaft. Unbolt the front diff, pull it forward, pull front driveshaft out, and check the splines. Probably enough meat on them to turn with no resistance, but not enough to pull a load without slipping/stripping.

#9 ·
splines look fine on the drive shaft... the splines on the diff its self dont look squared (but they almost look machened that way)... im not sure if they are supposed to tho and i didnt see any metal shavings

#10 ·
The 400 Foremans are known to strip the splines in the Coupler on the front driveshaft. This is the pice that connects the engine to the shaft, smaller on one end than the other. Its usually the splines inside the coupler on the smaller end, may look OK, but when compared to a new one you can see the difference.

If you have a 400 foreman its best to take it apart every now and then and keep it well greased, this prevents muddy water from getting in there and wearing down the splines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.