Honda Foreman Forums banner

New member with a quite a few questions.

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mrbb 
#1 ·
Hello all!
I just picked up my 97 400 from the original owner. Low miles/hours, in pretty good shape, fresh tune-up.

I plan on using it primarily for plowing my driveway on the few occasions it will need it these days, possibly a very occasional light trail ride, and towing a little cart around the property for yard work.

My first question is about winches to lift the blade, which will probably be a 48-50(ish) inch.

I was lookin at the badland 3500, simply for the price, until I saw a super winch for around the same, and through Amazon I could get the mounting plate, and a super winch LT3000 for around 160 or so.

The mount is a KFI 100545.

Will the mount come with u-bolts and attaching hardware? Is it a good mount?

Is that a decent winch? Will the bikes' battery be able to handle that or will I need to install a secondary batt? ( battery is a brand new AGM type).

I'm also planning on upgrading the headlights to all LED (to save on draw), as I know that led swaps these days have gotten plenty bright enough to compete with halogens. (I've converted several motorcycles to LED and they perform very well) has anyone else done this?

Will that winch and that mount work together?

Eventually I'll be going with a "stock" swap lift with 450 parts as well.

Am I to understand through my reading that by using knuckles, upper and lower A arms, and shafts from a 450, that I won't have wear issues from the front end?

And lastly, tires....

I don't really want to get new wheels, so stockers it will be. I'm seeing my sizes are pretty limited for the 11's. Looks like a 25 is about as tall as I'll be able to go with stock wheels (doesn't look like 26's or bigger are out there for 11's)..... Correct?

Currently eyeing mudbugs, superlites, or bighorns for this....

Thank you all for your advice/input!

I'm sure I've opened more than one cans of worms here... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
OK first off welcome to the site next I own a 400 and plow the crap out of it, and recommend a 60 inch blade , it plows it just fine and gets work done much faster than a smaller blade will.
As for ssuper winch, they make good products and will be plenty for your plow and if/when you get stuck.

as for tires, I have 25 inch 589's on mine and needed a lift kit to do so, due to fronts would rub the fender inner liners without.
a cheap 1.5 Inch lift has been on my 400 from 15 problem free yrs .
Yes you can swap over to all the 450 parts, BUT why do it, for what your planning to do, thatsthat's a lot of wasted funds IMO.
IF I was to do a 450 mod,,first one I MIGHT some day do, will be the 450 jug swap, to get a little extra horse power, but been getting by with my stock motor and gearing just fine, IF some day I need a top end, I will then.
My suggestion is use atvATV a while and see what you want to do after the winch and plow, in time. Don't go wasting money till you see how it works out for you as is

#3 ·
get a 48in blade with the manual lift .....i have plowed for the last 3 winters with this system and it is a much faster to use and no draw on the battery
the front end is bullet proof and will plow snow for 20 more years if maintained correctly
look at your local dealer to see if he has a set of 12in stock take off lying around for cheep (or Craigs list )

#4 ·
Just an update... I found a brand new KFI 48" plow kit on Craigslist cheap as sin. Getting ready to pull the trigger on the KFI winch mount, LT3000 winch, and cycle country belly mount for the plow (it only came with a little "universal" belly mount). I'll also be doing a 450 shock swap before the first snow as well.

Could someone please let me know what year of 450 they're getting the shocks from for the swap?

Thanks again everyone!!!

#5 ·
I'll update and answer my own question. I finished the shock swap in 1.5hrs dressed in my Sunday best. I used a harbor freight ratchet strap to compress the front shocks after they were already bolted in at the top. My shocks came off ( advertised as ) a 2000 450. I netted 2.5" all around, and have no weird noises from the front. Steering is a smidge stiffer, but still very rideable. I don't trail ride, or go on rough terrain, so I can't comment there. Though because the A-Arms are pushed so far down now, you DO lose most of your downward travel when flexing it out.

#7 ·
And for anyone else installing a winch, specifically the LT3000..... I mounted my rocker on the left side of the handlebar close enough to be used while riding, but tucked away to look more OE. I ran the power lines in 5/8 loom back into the rear cubby. The rocker switch wiring power feed was also extended, all the wires were run along/in the same frame rail on the right side. My feed for the switch was tagged in at the fuse box. Here's a pic of the wiring in the cubby.

The cubby was removed, and all holes for the wiring were grommeted, and sealed with RTV.

#8 ·
Looking good,

cubby hole was a fight for me because the wires from the winch reach and no more

I blacked taped the box on the black wire as well

My rocker switch sits just down from the horn button

I'm guessing you left the extra wiring for the remote switch in the winch box ?

#9 ·
I didn't install the remote switch because I don't really foresee any need for it at this time. This machines primary use for me will be a snow plow, and yard cart puller. Any trail riding either myself or my wife will do is with her father, and that won't be too crazy.

#13 ·
Is it worth mounting a extra Batt for the Plow/Winch?

Going on 16 season plowing with same at and a 3,,,000 lb winch, and never needed a second battery, I get about 6 yrs or so out of a battery, IMO a normal life span, and I replace every 6 yrs, before needing one maybe, just cause I know its a time deal, and rather replace when I want, then when battery just dies,and that could be at a bad time Lol

#12 ·
I went to a 475 bigbore kit and dont have to shift up and down all the time. You just have to make sure ring gaps are good not too tight. Warn winch just the old manual contactor went bad (A2000 ), new wiring kit good to go.same winch from 2000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.